Saturday, January 15, 2005

Another day in court

I was doing so well writing a post everyday! And then things got way too busy around here. But anyways.

I had court on Thursday. Again. This time for the motion for modification that the B.A. had filed. I ended up forgetting about it and racing up there just in time for court to start. We ended up being called/seen by 11:30, and since the courtroom was practically empty I thought for sure we'd be out of there before lunch, but I was wrong.

I have to say though, the judge that was there, the same judge we had last time for child support, totally kicks ass! She's awesome! She doesn't take any crap..... she'll put anyone in their place for talking out of turn, or interrupting her. And I got to be entertained too! She had 2 people incarcerated that day! You sit there listening to the case, and right before your eyes, the police people, whoever they are, start coming out one by one surrounding the person standing in front of the judge. They get handcuffed and walked off. Makes the day more interesting anyway.

So, when we had met with childsupport enforcement, it was decided, according to the state guidelines that the B.A. should be paying $81 a week, and $16 in arreage. That would be the change from $72/week , and $53 in arreage! I was prepared to battle. We finally got our turn in front of the judge , and were the last ones there. She actually scolded him for filing the papers for modification while he's in the middle of being held in contempt! I guess its not the best time to do it while in trouble. So she kept the $$ amounts the same, thank goodness. She said that when we go back next month for childsupport, he can bring what paperwork he has for his workers' comp case, and a decision will be decided then. And get this: the B.A. did lots of talking out of turn, and interrupting, so Miss Judge really isn't liking him!

So on the 17th of next month, we go back for the contempt of child support. At that time, the B.A. needs to bring with him $800 or he'll be going to jail. Well, HE thinks that if he brings papers from his workers' comp case saying that the arreage will be paid off with the settlement, that he doesn't have to bring the $800! Totally not the case. He's fully expected to bring the money, regardless of what happens with workers' comp. I don't think he knows that. ;)

The judge court appointed him a lawyer, so she must apparently feel he's in trouble too. Is it wrong of me to cross my fingers and hope he goes to jail? The thing is, is that I've been doing this for so many years, and countless times I've stood in front of the judge, and asked that he be incarcerated, yet they always give him another chance. I mean, if he wants to bring the money and be responsible and everything, then I don't necessarily want to see him go to jail, but I deserve to be paid back the thousands of dollars he owes me!

Anyway, it was a very interesting day, and I'm actually looking forward to going to court next month!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home