Wednesday, July 13, 2005

My vegetable garden

This year, for the first time ever, I started a veggie garden. I planned for months for the perfect location that was close enough to the hose and yet in a majority of sun. And its been doing good!

I have one zucchini plant that has exploded in size. And so far, one zucchini on it. I planted cucumbers. I didn't anticipate them needing as much room as they've traveled so far, so they're kinda all over the place. The feelers, or whatever they are, have wrapped themselves around my cantalope plants. I don't know if they could "choke" them, so every once in awhile I untangle them. No cucumber yet though. Cantalope is doing well, but no fruit yet. I have one tomato plant with lots of baby tomatoes on it. And my yellow squash is doing awesome. Little baby squash all over the place. The only other thing I have is bush beans. They were doing well up until 2 days ago. And now I think they have some sort of disease. Some of the plants have withered and died and the others have brown spots on the leaves. I'm so disappointed because I love fresh green beans, and now I don't know whether or not I should pull out all the plants or leave them until they're completely gone. I don't know if this disease will spread to the other plants. Need to look into that.

Otherwise, my flowers are doing great. My pumpkins plants next to my backdoor though. They look good. They're huge! But last week I was so excited that I actually saw bees pollinating between what I thought was girl and boy flowers. And then we'd have pumpkins! But my BIL gave me a little lesson. He pointed out that all the flowers I have so far are all male flowers. So no pumpkins. But... I've been doing alot of reading up, and have read that the male flowers come out before the female flowers, so I still have a chance. But heck, if no girls show up, I'm going to pull those plants up. They really are huge!

I'm hoping that my veggies do good , because if they do, I'm expanding next year. I just never thought I'd get this "into" growing vegetables... its been alot of fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home